Sunday, November 21, 2010

Daniel Radcliffe: I'm Not Gay, Get Over It!


Just because you support gay equality doesn't mean you are necessarily gay - a highly complex concept that apparently seems to confound and amaze many people. Harry Potter heartthrob Danielle Radcliffe has once again had to ‘deny' persistent internet rumours that he prefers guys to girls. When asked about it in an interview with MTV this week the young star said: "If people want to say that, they can. I'm not. I'm straight." "My favourite thing I saw was a guy on the internet who said, ‘Of course he's gay – he's got a gay face,' which I thought was kind of an odd thing to say anyway" he laughed. And the reason why? The 20yo has proved himself to be one of that ultra rare commodity: straight men who actively support gay equality. Part and parcel of this is sometimes being on the receiving end of homophobia himself. Rather than let it get him down it inspires Radcliffe to take action. After making a large donation to the Trevor Project, a suicide and crisis prevention helpline for LGBT people, he has now agreed to film an advert against homophobia. Last year Radcliffe appeared on the cover of gay glossy "Attitude" and says he has always been outspoken when it comes to gay rights. "I grew up knowing a lot of gay men, and it was never something that I even thought twice about—that some men were gay and some weren't," he recently explained to reporters in New York. "And then I went to school and for the first time I came across homophobia. I had never encountered it before. It shocked me. "I have always hated anybody who is not tolerant of gay men or lesbians or bisexuals," he said. "Now I am in the very fortunate position where I can actually help or do something about it."

No comments:

Post a Comment